Chronic neck pain can be both mentally and physically exhausting. Luckily, it can be treated, but only if the cause of the neck pain is determined. Discover some of the most common causes of chronic neck pain and learn more about treatment options that may be able to help you find relief from your pain.
Most Common Causes of Chronic Neck Pain
Sprains and strains, which are often caused by overuse, overextension, or injury, are often the cause of chronic neck pain. These sprains and strains can be caused by the following situations:
- Sleeping in such a way that the neck is overextended for prolonged periods of time
- Sports injury – colliding with other players, falling, or performing a sudden movement that causes the neck to move in an unusual way
- Poor posture – sitting or standing with the neck tilted forward can cause the muscles, tendons, and ligaments in the neck to become strained, which results in chronic pain
- Engaging in activities that require repetitive motions of the neck – activities can include swimming or dancing
- Holding or placing your neck in a very unusual position – some examples include staring upwards, holding a phone on your shoulder, or sitting and reading a book with your head propped up
- Whiplash – sudden movement, usually caused by a sudden impact, of your head and neck forward and backward
Discover Treatment Options for Chronic Neck Pain
There is only one goal when getting treatment for chronic neck pain. The goal of treatment is to find long-term relief from the pain.
Some of the symptoms of chronic neck pain that may be able to be relieved with proper treatment include:
- Weakness, tingling, and numbness that can occur in the neck or radiate down the arms, shoulders, and upper back
- Experiencing difficulty picking up or gripping items with your hands
- Experiencing issues with balance, walking, or coordination
- Experiencing potential loss of bowel control or urinary incontinence
To help you find pain relief from chronic neck pain, Bay Area Disc Centers uses a five-step disc restoration therapy program. This program uses a combination of treatment options to help relieve your pain.
The types of treatment used as part of the disc restoration therapy program include:
- Spinal decompression
- Inter-segmental mobilization
- Nutritional services
Suffering from chronic neck pain? Bay Area Disc Centers can help you. Schedule a consultation and discover how a customized treatment plan created by our experienced doctor can help you find relief from painful and frustrating neck pain. Call today to schedule an appointment for a consultation at one of our two offices located in Campbell, CA and San Mateo, CA.